Saturday, January 22, 2022

Positivity Radiates (Tue)

Working with people who have a positive attitude makes all the difference. I switched trainers this week and I can already see a huge difference. My self-care was going by the wayside. In fact, working with my second trainer (technically the first trainer I started with in my new role) he's supportive. I can make mistakes, where I usually figure out what I did wrong and fix it before there is actually an error, with peace of mind. It's a safe environment. He teaches me and I listen. (I do my BEST to retain all the information given; trust me, this position is filled with details and knowledge to be good in this role but it doesn't mean it isn't a lot in the beginning.) I feel safe. I'm not made to feel less-than just because I didn't do something exactly the way someone else does something. 

I've always been different, and I've always thought it's both a blessing and a curse. I see things differently. I'm a creative. (Never logical. lol) I had a teacher in high school, chemistry class, where I asked a question and she screamed at me in front of the whole class. She drew a picture on her board of a big circle and then put an x to the top left way outside of the circle. In class she goes "the circle represents all the students I teach and you're the x; I don't know how to teach you." She stormed out of class and that was that.

In this new role with the other trainer, I'm pretty sure he's logical and I'm a creative again. I totally respect him, but he isn't very nice when things don't go according to his plan. How do I better word it? He's strict, it's his way, he focuses more on the errors verses the positive, and there is no room for error- even when beginning. I can't handle the pressure. I'm breaking!

So when I go back to the other trainer, it's a breath of fresh air to know you can still do a job while feeling safe and secure while growing into the new role.

If and when you ever teach someone, just be kind! Remember what it's like to be new. Training for an experienced pro can be just as difficult as it is for a new person to learn and quickly step into that role with the rest of the team members.

No comments:

Post a Comment